(Oh, you know an opinion’s gonna be good if the trans* flag is used as the image.)
Okay, you know what? I’m done with being nice. I’m done with trying to coax peace and common sense out of others. I don’t want to hurt anyone, it’s never been my intention, and this will be rather uncharacteristic of me to say. But somebody has to say it.
First, let it be known that I am trans* and gay. I am pretty much as far from “cishet” as possible.
That being said, if you are trans* or non-binary and you harbor an adamant hatred of cis people, you need to fuck right off.
Grow the fuck up, already. You are contributing absolutely nothing to our community. All you are doing is spreading the notion of hatred and violence, and you are digging us into a pit deeper than ever before. I am ashamed to be connected to you in any possible way. I am ashamed when you tell perfectly innocent human beings that they are scum and that they should kill themselves. You fucking sicken me. You are in no way better than your oppressors. Not a bone in your body is better than them just because you’re non-binary.
What possibly makes me the angriest is that, because of you, cis people think that “cis” is an insult. Do you see what you’ve done? As a trans* person, the word “cis” is so important to me. It’s important in the way that it negates the sense that cis is “normal” and that I am not. It brings cis and trans* people down onto the same level and it makes us equal. But because of you hateful fucks, cis people are outraged and vehemently denying the label. Thanks a lot. That’s quite a bit of good you’re doing, isn’t it?
You people are cruel, you are violent, you are giving all of us a horrible name on Tumblr. You are teaching children that it is perfectly okay to bully someone because of their gender identity and sexuality. I have seen very young teenagers spewing your “die cis scum” bullshit on this website, and it disgusts me that the next generation is getting dragged into this as if it’s okay.
Cis friends, please just know that I’ve never in my life met a trans* or non-binary person who actually thinks this way. Please realize that. It’s literally just Tumblr.
I can only hope to god that this ridiculous trend doesn’t spread any farther than this godforsaken website.
Here is my comic: Toppings.
Enjoy. ｡◕ ‿ ◕｡
I’m sorry, I personally hate comics like this. I really doubt anyone will read this and think, “Golly gee, I sure learned a lot about gender and sexuality!” Most people liking it already know all about gender/sexuality. The ones that don’t probably are annoyed by the patronizing tone and scroll past. Sure, it’s informative, but it’s also immature and belittling to people who are stigmatized because of their gender/sex. But, no, who doesn’t want a personal identity that’s been the catalyst to trauma and abuse compared to sprinkles and ice cream!!?
…I guess, it’s a good resource for children.
Why do I have such a huge problem with “transtrenders”?
Well, for example one of my major qualms is that they’ve taken concepts that had originally a certain meaning, and applied them to themselves completely disregarding the original intent and why there was a reason for those concepts to exist in the first place.
However, that is sadly not the only concept that has been taken by “transtrenders” and completely misunderstood.
A study in panel borders:
Inspired by this awesome post about making comics quickly, I took a look at some comics I own to get some sense of different kinds of panel design choices.
I came away feeling like I’d learned a little less than I’d hoped, but here are some takeaways:
* You can get away with smaller panels than you think
* Extremely weird comic panels CAN work, but when it fails it looks painful and forced.
* Simple is not bad.
* There are actually a LOT of possible combinations.
Scott McCloud uses a 4x3 sliceup of the page, and it’s four VERTICAL slices and three HORIZONTAL ones, which is weird because it makes the panels, on average, LESS square. This works with the particular comic really WELL though, because he draws himself in closeup, talking, a LOT.
DAR and Narbonic both are webcomics mashed into book format, but both worked surprisingly well as page layout in the end.
Blacksad is REALLY variable and the page layouts are hand-crafted on a per-page basis. No speed gains here, but perhaps a message that full custom has its place.
The Resonator is fairly formal but never *too* rigid with panel choices. Lots of narrow or tall panels, which works as a way to alternate between big establishing shots and dense dialog. Very tall panels for single speaker, long ones for two-person dialog or to combine a lot of text and visuals. In general, Resonator is print-native and has TINY text…
Ultimate X-Men is a fun read but the panel design is a disaster. Almost none of the choices of graphic design work at all. Occasionally an establishing shot hits home, but in general the layout is trying WAY too hard.
Watchmen. Formalism raised to the ultimate. It’s precise, it’s a 3x3 grid, it’s piss-on-a-plate-with-no-spills precise and that’s fine, for two reasons: one, everything is about time, and two, it gets the panels the hell out of the way of the story.
Augustus is an example of what Ultimate X-Men was trying to do, except it succeeds. Lots of variation, but on average very orderly. Kind of strikes me as the sort of thing you “have to be GOOD” to pull off well.
THIS IS A ROCK N ROLL CHRISTMAS
- Joey Ramone- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- Slade- Merry XMas Everybody
- The Kinks- Father Christmas
- T. Rex- Christmas Bop
- Yoko Ono- Listen, The Snow is Falling
- Big Star- Jesus Christ
- The Jacobites- Teenage Christmas
- Daniel Johnston- Rock Around The Christmas Tree
- Shonen Knife- Space Christmas
- Sonic Youth- Santa Doesn’t Cop Out On Dope
- Pixies- Winterlong
- The Jesus and Mary Chain- Birthday
- Crocodiles & Dum Dum Girls- Merry Christmas, Baby (Please Don’t Die)
- The Long Blondes- Christmas is Cancelled
- The Celebate Rifles- Merry Xmas Blues
- The Dickies- Silent Night
- Pointed Sticks- Power Pop Santa
- The Damned- There Ain’t No Sanity Clause
- Fear- Fuck Christmas
- The Yobs- Run Rudolph Run
- Reigning Sound- If Christmas Can’t Bring You Home
- Black Lips- Christmas In Baghdad
- The Sonics- Don’t Believe In Christmas
- The Youngsters- Christmas In Jail
- The Frogs- Here Comes Santa’s Pussy
- Yo La Tengo- It’s Christmas Time
- Dolly Mixture- Winter Seems Fine
- Cocteau Twins- Winter Wonderland
- Orange Juice- Holiday Hymn
- Aztec Camera- Walk Out To Winter
- The Walkmen- Christmas Party
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs- All I Want For Christmas
- Sparks- Thank God It’s Not Christmas
- Iggy Pop- White Christmas
- Klaus Nomi- Silent Night
Merry Christmas, tumblrs
I suppose earlier generations had to sit through all this huffing and puffing with the invention of television, the phone, cinema, radio, the car, the bicycle, printing, the wheel and so on, but you would think we would learn the way these things work, which is this:
1) everything that’s already in the world when you’re born is just normal;
2) anything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it;
3) anything that gets invented after you’re thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it until it’s been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really.
Apply this list to movies, rock music, word processors and mobile phones to work out how old you are.